Fifth Meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Stockholm Convention,
COP5 25th - 29th April 2011 in Geneva, Switzerland
At COP5, the member states will decide if the use of the insecticide DDT against disease-transmitting mosquitoes should continue to be authorised. A proposal from the DDT expert group of the Stockholm Convention on stricter rules for the use of DDT will also be discussed. Biovision will work with its partners to ensure these rules are adopted and implemented.
The following events will take place during COP5:
- Biovision and the Global Alliance for Alternatives to DDT are inviting to a poster presentation and award ceremony on Innovativ Alternatives to DDT for Malaria Vector Control, sponsored by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation. Flyer (PDF)
Posters selected for presentation :
1. A novel and biodegradable monomolecular film for malaria mosquito control. Prof. Dr. Bart GJ Knols. E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Plant-based Attractants in Toxic Sugar Baits (ATSB): A New Approach to the Control of Malaria Vectors in Africa. Prof. Yosef Schlein and Dr. Günter C. Müller. E-mail address email@example.com, Israel
4. Integrating Larval Source Management in the National Malaria Control Programme in Zambia. Emmanuel Chanda, firstname.lastname@example.org. Zambia
5. Development of fungus-treated house screens for malaria vector control. Marit Farenhorst, PhD. Email: email@example.com
8. The use of the hibernating eggs of the annual killifish as a practical method of disseminating larvivorous fish in ephemeral ponds for malaria control. JONATHAN R. MATIAS, firstname.lastname@example.org
Award Ceremony and Cocktail Reception:
Tuesday, April 26, 20.00h, CICG, Room: 3+4.
- An Inuit search for solutions to the chemical poisoning of the world.
Biovision and Safe Planet have the pleasure to invite you, on the occasion of the Fifth meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants, to the premier of a film by Jan van den Berg and Pipaluk Knudsen-Ostermann Wednesday 27 April 2011 from 6:30 p.m until 8:00 p.m at the Conference Centre Varembé (CCV) opposite the Centre International de Conférences Genève (CICG), Geneva.
The screening will be preceded by a cocktail reception starting after the plenary session scheduled to conclude at 6 p.m. and is followed by a discussion with the movie director Jan van den Berg and experts including Jan Betlem, UNEP; Ellady Muyambi, UNETMAC Uganda; Andreas Schriber, Biovision; Michael Stanley-Jones, Safe Planet Campaign (UNEP). Flyer (PDF)